URGENT NOTIFICATION TO ALL GS-UNION MEMBERS! SAMMC/BAMC Command is exercising its right to” OPEN & RENEGOTIATE “The Union Labor Contract also known as the “Collective Bargaining Agreement”. AFGE Local 1033 is requesting participation of dues paying members to help review the contract during the month of December in preparation for the “Bargain Negotiations” in January. […]
Members, This is an invitation for you to join me Monday, October 7th for second teletown hall on the Government Lockout. We had one this week and it was a great success; over 25,000 AFGE members joined us and raised questions that many of you probably had. This coming Monday, we will be […]
Dear Member, In light of the financial difficulty being experienced by our members during the government shut down, AFGE has decided to embark on a one month long $50/$50 member rebate campaign designed to provide some financial relief to our members. Beginning on October 1, 2013 through November 14, 2013, AFGE will pay the […]
Dear Member, Today’s the third day into the Government Lockout. And I’ve got three priorities at the top of my To Do List for this Lockout. I’ve made a brief video to share them with you; watch it below. I also wanted to tell you: Good Job, Members. We’ve gotten over 5,000 calls into the […]
Attention all Members: Mr Bill Armstrong, President AFGE Local 1033 would like for all Members and Interested Persons to know that Roy Flores, AFGE National Vice President for District 10 is hosting a hot dog & hamburger cookout this Saturday 11-2 @ the district office with a member furlough march afterwards. Phone: (210) 735-8900 Fax: […]
IMPORTANT: This information should not be downloaded using government equipment, read during duty time or sent to others using government equipment, because it suggests action to be taken in support or against legislation. Do not use your government email address or government phone in contacting your Member of Congress. If you’re not using government equipment […]
FURLOUGH GUIDANCE MATERIAL QR Code – Take this post Mobile! Use this unique QR (Quick Response) code with your smart device. The code will save the url of this webpage to the device for mobile sharing and storage.
Sept. 27, 2013 AFGE Tells President Obama to Stand Firm in the Face of Threats and Take Federal Pay, Jobs off the Bargaining Table in Government Lockout & Debt Ceiling Negotiations: If radical lawmakers want to pander to their extreme political base by threatening to lockout the American people from vital government services and lockout […]
Dear Member, Unthinkable but entirely possible. Over a dozen Senators and eighty Representatives are pushing for a scenario that should be unthinkable: they want to use a government shutdown as leverage to enact an extreme, right-wing agenda that includes continuing the Sequester for the next nine years. And these folks are picking up more […]
***************** FREE -T-SHIRTS ****************** All Members that are current with their dues can come by the Union Office during normal business hours 0730-1600hrs Tuesday-Friday. Contact any of the Union Officers to ensure one of us is available to get your FREE SHIRT! Shirt sizes available are: Medium, Large, XL, 2X- limited quantities, 3XL- limited quantities. […]
- Largest Federal Employee Union Leader Rejects Budget Deal Targeting Federal Pensions December 10, 2013WASHINGTON – American Federation of Government Employees National President J
- Proposal to Increase Federal Pension Contributions is Latest Assault Against Public Sector Workers December 9, 2013House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan of Wisconsin is demanding a 350 percent increase in pension contributions by all civilian federal employees as part of a budget deal to offset two years of sequestration.
- AFGE Tells Congress to Reject Budget Proposal Targeting Federal Employees December 6, 2013WASHINGTON – The American Federation of Government Employees is calling on lawmakers to reject any proposal to reduce take-home pay for federal workers as part of a budget compromise deal
- 2013-2014 Bonus Bucks December 6, 2013Instructions and membership applications here
- Nation’s Largest Federal Employee Union Mourns Loss of Humanitarian Nelson Mandela December 6, 2013(WASHINGTON)—The American Federation of Government Employees (AFGE) joins with millions of people around the world in expressing deep sorrow upon hearing the news of the passing of former South African President Nelson Mandela
- Panetta Leaked Information to Hollywood Writer December 11, 2013Former CIA director says he didn’t know the writer was present during a speech with classified information.
- Budget Agreement Eases Pentagon's Sequester Pain December 11, 2013Deal gives the Defense Department about $31.5 billion in relief over two years.
- Republican Discord Leaves Defense Policy Bill in Limbo December 10, 2013It's unclear whether lawmakers will support plan to fast-track the bill.
- Report: Russian Diplomats Who Scammed Medicaid Were Also Spying on the U.S. December 9, 2013It's unclear how many were spies.
- Congress Won't Vote on How to End Military Sexual Assault December 9, 2013Senate runs out of time to vote on two competing amendments to Defense policy bill.
- Man Arrested After Throwing Suspicious Object on White House Lawn December 4, 2013Incident happened near the North Lawn.
- What Do You Get A Wookie For Christmas When He Already Owns A Comb? November 29, 2013Pursuant to the Standards of Ethical Conduct For Employees of the Executive Branch, employees may not give a gift to an official superior nor can an employee accept a gift from another employee who receives less pay, except in limited circumstances. On an occasional basis, the individual gifts to a supervisor are permitted: gifts other than cash that are va […]
- Small Bark With No Bite – The Federal Sector Complement Plan to the Strategic Enforcement Plan November 15, 2013The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) Strategic Enforcement Plan (SEP) FY 2013-2016, required the Director of the Office of Federal Operations and Director of the Office of Field Programs to develop a Federal Sector Complement Plan (FCP) to the SEP. On January 14, 2013, the EEOC requested public input in preparing the FCP. As we posted in […]
- Securing the Bottom Line: CBP Officers Under Attack For Alleged Misuse of Overtime November 1, 2013“There’s been a mentality shift in CBP about securing the border; now it’s about securing the bottom line.” - Shawn Moran, Vice President of the National Border Patrol Council, American Federation of Government Employees, AFL-CIO, quoted by Emily Wax-Thibodeaux, Homeland Security workers routinely boost pay with unearned overtime, report says, THE WASHINGTON […]
- Thank you for contacting the government;We’re out of the office until the shutdown ends October 8, 2013Everyone loves a good day off, but when you’re forced to take a day, week, or month off and may not get paid for your forced “vacation,” work may seem more appealing than taking a hit to your pocket book. Unfortunately, for thousands of government workers, going to work is not an option; and their absence will be felt by private employees, especially by thos […]
- Killing Class Actions And Controlling The Procedure For Employee Disputes Through Arbitration Agreements October 7, 2013Due to a string of U.S. Supreme Court decisions in recent years favoring arbitration, less and less employment disputes may be litigated in court as employers implement new or revised arbitration terms in their employment agreements. Most recently, in June 2013, the Supreme Court held that courts cannot invalidate arbitration agreements which waive class act […]
- From “Roses” to “Black Swans” – Interns Teach Important Lessons September 26, 2013First, pay the Interns. That’s right – pay those starving college students who will do virtually anything for experience. If you choose not to pay them you are likely violating the Fair Labor Standards Act and you can look forward to paying them double plus their attorneys’ fees. If you choose not to pay the interns the experience must be primarily for the i […]
- Employer Decisions Directly Impacting the Bottom Line September 25, 2013Having recently completed an MBA, I now evaluate an employer’s legal risk differently, emphasizing the overall business impact. When you make risk/reward determinations, these have the most potential for real risk: Employee classification -- Whether this means misclassifying employees as independent contractors or improperly paying workers on a salary with n […]
- Does MLB’s new Code of Conduct on Sexual Orientation hit it out of the park or will some balk? July 26, 2013Just in time for the All-Star game, Major League Baseball (MLB) pitched a new Workplace Code of Conduct: Sexual Orientation (“Code”)1 , stating a zero-tolerance policy for harassment or discrimination based on sexual orientation. Commissioner Allan H. (Bud) Selig, Major League Baseball Players Association (MLBPA) Executive Director Michael Weiner, and New Yo […]
- Mixed Reviews for Proposed Pension Contribution Hikes December 12, 2013Unions, lawmakers disagree on merits of compromise budget deal.
- Obamacare Could Make FEHBP More Popular December 5, 2013It’s unclear how the extra enrollees would affect premiums.
- Don’t Worry About Obamacare – Feds’ Health Benefits Are Safe November 21, 2013As FEHBP enrollees peruse their options during open season, it’s important for them to remember they can keep their coverage if they want.
- Paying the Price: Feds Increasingly Unhappy With Salaries November 14, 2013Pay satisfaction ranges across agencies and job level.
- Traveling Feds Have (a Little) More Money to Spend November 7, 2013New per diem rates took effect while the government was closed.
- FEHBP As a Model of Health October 31, 2013The program helped shape the Affordable Care Act. Now the question is whether the Obamacare debate might change FEHBP.
- Back Pay Is On the Way October 24, 2013Federal employees this week will recover the pay they missed during the government shutdown.
- More Uncertainty Awaits Feds After the Shutdown October 17, 2013Increased workloads also are a concern.